Sunday 24 May 2015

Flowers in Somport

On Saturday morning we took a picnic to Le Somport, just over the border in France. In Jaca it was not a bad day, but as we approached the mountains we could see clouds caught on them. Arriving at the ski resort it was dull, misty and bitterly cold. We went for a long, brisk walk around the cross-country ski circuit, enjoying the spring flowers and the glimpses of the mountains. It was muddy, and there were patches of snow in secluded corners. On one misty stretch of track I saw the rumps of three or four roe deer which disappeared silently into the mist. The ground was very heavily worked by moles and wild boars.
Alpine squills on a bank angled at about 45º.

I didn't know what they were, and couldn't find them in any of my flower books, so I posted a photo on Facebook and my cousin suggested squills. That gave me a clue to follow. 

Then I googled squills and found http://www.seasonalwildflowers.com/alpine-squill.html which confirmed what Christine (my cousin) had said. It's a lovely blogspot. 


These are some kind of  orchids growing on a rough slope among the molehills and boar-rootings.




No comments:

Post a Comment